Friday, June 26, 2009

OB appointment yesterday

Baby and I had an OB appointment yesterday morning, and all continues to look well! I only gained a pound over the last month, which was somewhat impressive! It probably has to do with the mad heat and humidity and the fact the only thing I want to eat is pineapple and watermelon. yum!

So, I tried to get more ultrasounds out of the OB, but he said that we will only need one more, on July 21, to see if she has rotated into a head down position or not. I won't get any pictures from it, sadly, and it will be the last time I get to see the baby til she is born. I asked him if he thinks she will flip head down, and he said there is still a chance, but he doesn't think it is a great one. He told me if she is still breech on the 21st, we will go ahead and schedule a C-Section for about a week before the due to date. With my awesome septate uterus, the growth makes it impossible for the baby to be turned from the outside, so, unless she can figure out how to get around the growth (and only she can figure it out...this could be her first failure as a human, haha, just kidding), she will stay heads up and mom will go under the knife to get her out.

I am OK with a c-section, whatever is best for the baby is fine with me. Brian and I are telling ourselves it will be a c-section, and if she somehow does flip after all these months of being breech, all the better and it would make us both soooo happy, but if she doesn't, that way we won't be bummed like the floor got ripped out from under our feet. Part of me is sad that I won't get to experience a "normal" birth, that I might not know what it feels like to go into labor, which probably seems funny since I will get to bypass all that pain, but it is different than what I always thought I would experience when it came time to have the baby. Maybe a little anti-climactic, no crazy birth story to pass on...I am not quite sure. Plus, with a c-section, I don't get to have that super important initial bonding period with the baby, when they throw it on your chest and you get to hug it and cry and hold it skin to skin... I think that is the biggest bummer. I will ask the OB if Brian could do that instead, just so she has that skin-to-skin contact that babies seem to love. I am probably being melodramatic, the main objective is to have a happy, healthy baby, and that is what really matters!

Isabella is doing well and we are very excited to meet her, whatever way she enters this world!!! Everyday is one day closer!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry! You'll get to have that time w/ Bella. They will do it just like they do in a VB--you'll see her, they'll take her and clean her up, you'll get sewn up, Brian will hold her while that happens, and then you'll get to hold her and breastfeed if you want to. Don't think having a VB means you don't have 20 min of stitches to contend with--believe me! LOL