Sunday, July 26, 2009

4!

One month!! One month to go until we meet our girl!!! Maybe less, maybe more! I can not wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Next week we hit the "full term" mark, and she is more than welcome to come at anytime! You hear me, baby? MORE THAN WELCOME TO COME AT ANYTIME!!! She is so big, I can't even sit down anymore because she pushes into my ribs and it is so uncomfortable! ANYTIME, BELLAREESE!!!

I have started to have some weird dreams...I have dreamt she has no eyes, (just sockets), and in one dream she is deaf and I have to learn sign language. The "no eyes" dream made me a little sad, but the deaf dream made me feel suprisingly ok...like it was a hurdle we could easily clear. I love learning languages, and sign language would be something that as a whole family we would have to learn together. I hope she is "normal", but all these weird dreams make me feel like we will do whatever is in our power to make our girl happy and healthy and that is very satisfying! At the beginning of the pregnancy, the thought of anything being wrong with our baby scared me stiff and made me wonder if I could be a good enough parent to a baby/kid with special needs or if I would love her enough, but I am slowly starting to realize that no matter what happens, she will be loved completely, without hesitation and that Brian and I will be the best parents for her no matter what. It is a very reassuring feeling, knowing I can be what she needs me to be!

Here is what is happening with our girl:

How your baby's growing:
Congratulations — Your baby weighs 6 1/3 pounds and measures a bit over 19 inches, head to heel (like a stalk of Swiss chard) or like a diaper bag. Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz. (Remember, at the 28 week ultrasound, Bella already had a substantial amount of hair...so hopefully she didn't lose it all in the womb, I love babies with full heads of hair!)

Baby's growth slows down dramatically this week, which is great news for your birth canal. His bones are still soft and pliable and will solidify after he's born. More great news for your birth canal. At this point babies vary in size, but the average length is between 19 and 20 inches and most babies weigh approximately 6 pounds. About the size of an average largemouth bass caught in Minnesota by your cousin Earl.

Your baby is almost ready, a pair of kidneys and the liver has begun processing some waste products, the only organ still to mature is the lungs. This week your baby may drop into the birth canal, this is called 'lightening' or 'dropping'. Your care provider may refer to it by saying that your baby is now 'engaged'. The majority of babies are now in the birth position, either head down (vertex) or butt down (breech), most will maintain this position until birth. Any movements that they make are more likely to be rolls from side to side.You may notice when this happens because it will suddenly become much easier for you to breathe. While breathing becomes easier, walking may be the exact opposite. If your baby has dropped you may find yourself visiting the bathroom much more often as baby is resting right on top of your bladder again.

How your life's changing:
Braxton Hicks contractions may be coming more frequently now and may last longer and be more uncomfortable. (They are becoming quite bothersome, to the point where I wake up from them and have to constantly readjust to make them go away. Sometimes they go away fast, and sometimes they last a while...damn braxton hicks...). It may be harder than ever to get comfortable enough to sleep well at night. If you can, take it easy through the day — this may be your last chance to do so for quite a while. Keep monitoring your baby's movements, too, and let your caregiver know immediately if you notice a decrease. Though her quarters are getting cozy, she should still be as active as before.While you're sleeping, you're likely to have some intense dreams. Anxiety both about labor and about becoming a parent can fuel a lot of strange flights of unconscious fancy.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I have been having weird dreams too! The weirdest was I dreamed Kaylee was a hummingbird inside of me, lol