Thursday, July 30, 2009

A trip to Labor and Delivery...and no, it was not to have the baby

Since Sunday, I have been feeling a little off…headaches, nausea, dizziness, and shortness of breath, as well as decreased fetal movements. I called my doctor to see what they recommended yesterday at 830 am and they told me to head to Labor and Delivery Triage and get checked out. I left work at 9, and what should have been a 5 minute car drive, turned into a 20 minute one since I got stuck behind the only train in Madison, that happened to be the slowest moving one on the face of the Earth, that even in my preggo-waddling state, I could have outran it and of course it was incredibly long. So, here I am, in my car, feeling like crap and yelling at an inanimate object…I was less than happy. I get to the hospital, and they are doing construction on the parking garage, and spots are at a minimum and I have to drive around 8 floors of circle parking, making me dizzier, trying to find a damned spot. Anyway, I get the hospital in one piece.


Since most of my symptoms were signs of preeclampsia, they were glad I came in when I did. Luckily, after numerous tests, they concluded I do not have pre-e. They hooked me up to some monitors to make sure the baby was OK, and she was doing just fine. They put me on an IV and administered fluids for an hour or two, which made me have to pee like a racehorse, and drew some blood to do some tests, and what they concluded was that I have "benign positional vertigo"…pretty much I have fluid that has been building up around my cochlea, part of the inner ear, that has been making my equilibrium all fuzzy, leading to all the symptoms from above. That, combined with my low blood pressure and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), made for a very frustrating day. They took me off the monitors for a while, and I told them that even though the heart rate was showing she is OK from before, that I still haven't felt her all day (being like 6-7 hours), so they hooked me back up and noticed her heart rate had dropped from the 140s/150s to 109 or so…no too a bad number necessarily, but they decided to monitor me for a bit longer, and decided that the medicine they gave me was making her really sleepy and as soon as that wore off, she was back kicking like a champ. The only thing I can take for this is Dramamine, which makes me want to pass out, so I can't take it during the day at work, and I am not sure I want to take it since it made her so sleepy as well. The vertigo is not pregnancy related, but they think the pregnancy might have brought it on. It is something I could suffer from the rest of my life, or it could be a once in a life time thing…either way, it has been very annoying. I need to have this baby already…

On another topic entirely…why does pregnancy make you clumsy?!?!? Before leaving for work today, I managed to drop my uncovered Tupperware of pineapple, splattering it all over the floor and the recently groomed Big City and his food and water bowl. Upon cleaning it up, and putting the dirty pieces back into the Tupperware and wiping off his sticky head, I dropped it again and splattered it for a second time all over the kitchen rug and my foot. Big City enjoyed licking my foot for 10 minutes afterwards, ignoring all my kicks to get him to leave my foot alone. Jump ahead 20 minutes, and I am getting a breakfast bar from the gas station and I knock over a whole row of chips and drop the water bottle in my hand… Why, oh why, is pregnancy such a destructing force???

3.5 weeks, 3.5 weeks, 3.5 weeks!!!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Haha, you're clumsy b/c your brain is swollen! It's almost over, and believe me, it's a whole other list of random issues once she's here. :D