Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Brian and I had a pretty rough night, yesterday. Our 11 year old kitty, Titty Tat, had to be put down. We had a feeling it would come soon, but it was a little sooner than we had anticipated, and her loss has been much harder to bear than I ever could have imagined. Brian called me on my way home from work to let me know it was time to call the vet; she had started convulsing and falling and not being able to get up, and eventually collapsed in the corner, where she stayed until we took her in. She hates our dog, and usually would have run away from him, but she wouldn’t even flinch when he would come over and harass her, so we knew this was it. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done, to watch my little girl take her last breathes, but appreciative at the same time that we got to be in the room with her, petting her and telling her we loved her until she was gone. Afterwards, despite it being illegal, we took her back to Brian's parent’s house, where we buried her next to his childhood kitty, Thumbs, in the backyard.

She was a very, very vocal cat, and her noisiness recently had become quite a problem for me (Brian says it is due to the pregnancy and the fact that I have very little patience right now, which is true, and that I would have gone back to normal once the baby was here, which is what I am making myself believe), and on top of the sadness I feel from losing her, I feel even more guilt about how cold I had treated her at the end, when she was probably just in so much pain and unable to communicate it any other way, and I just ignored her and yelled at her to “shut up”. (This was the same cat that caused me all that grief a few weeks ago when she got out into the yard and wouldn’t come back inside.)

It was a very, very hard day and we miss the poor thing so much already. Despite our recent problems, she had been a very good, loving kitty; always cranky, but always wanting to be held and petted and was completely loveable. There is quote that says something along the lines of “In ancient Egypt, cats were revered as gods…they have never forgotten this”, and that quote has always made me smile and think of her and her general disposition and attitude towards life.

I adopted her from the humane society after moving into my first apartment with Erin; we would have celebrated four years together this September. She used to sit on my lap when I would be watching TV and let me hold her like a baby and would pet my face with her paw as I would rub her belly, or she would cuddle in bed with me like a teddy bear and paw at my heart necklace. She was the first pet I owned that was just mine, and I will always remember her and how much joy she brought to my life. Rest in peace, little one, you will always be missed and loved.

Titty Tat
April, 1998 to July 13, 2009

2 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so sorry you guys! I know how hard it is to lose a kitty, and Titty was very special. Big hugs to you both.

Carmelle, Vincent, Tristan, Caleb, and Brayden Martinez said...

I'm so sorry for you guys! It must be hard losing an animal that is very dear to you (especially with all the pregnancy hormones). But at least you were able to be with her at the end- I'm sure she was grateful for that :)